SailNet Community - View Single Post - First post, big questions
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 03-01-2012
rossbc

I am doing the same thing you are - God willing. In looking for a boat - I did some extensive research and found the Hunter 37 - Cherubini Cutter - 79-84 looked to be a great cruising boat. We bought one and now are sailing/prepping it on Lake Erie. In the years mentioned, you can find one for under 40K - some work needed, but solid.

It is over built, heavy but it sails fast and let me tell you it can handle ROUGH WEATHER - way better than we can A cutter, so you have 2 small foresails instead of a huge genny. We are modifying ours so that the staysail can be roller furled instead of folded - that way we dont have to go up on the foredeck in rough seas - not fun when you are in your 50s and 60s like we are.

Another boat is the Hunter 30 - roughly same vintage. A good solid boat with spacious interior and very comfortable for cruising.

Do some exploring - a great place to start is SailboatOwners.com - they have reviews for all kinds of boats - it will allow you to look at different manufacturers and evaluate the different possibilities from a safety and a price perspective.

ENJOY - its fun going through and looking at the reviews and it saves a lot of leg work.

Also - with the postings above I agree - take classes - the US Power squadron has classes in weather, navigation, piloting - you need them all - mostly to protect you from those that don't know what they are doing - LOL. Throw in a pinch of conservative judgement and the right safety equipment and above all, DON'T hurry - time can be your ally, but it can also be your enemy. Above all have fun!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome