SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
The new Hanse 415, a boat that pisses me. I explain:

There are many things I like in the boat: It is not as fat as many of its concurrent (it could have a more sharp bow entry), it has all the winches in the cockpit, and that makes the handling easier solo or with a short crew, it has a modern and efficient keel and a nice hull, it has an epoxy version that is strong and not to heavy, self tacking jib. The cockpit and the storage is well designed including the space for the life-raft... but it has a quite deceiving interior, one that looks an amateur design job.

Hanse insist to design its interiors at home instead of giving them to the better specialized designers on the market and the results are very, very poor. I would say that even not professionally specialized in that type of design I could easily improve the design quality of that interior and that without making it significantly more expensive. Not that I am good at that particular type of design, it's the ones that design that interior that are not up to the task. Of course a good specialized designer could do a lot better than me.

That is what pisses me with Bavarias (even if the new Vision seems a lot better) and Hanses: They judge necessary to contract a first class architect to design the hull and rig but find unnecessary to the the same in what regards the interior. That's not very clever because most of customers (or their wives) buy the boat more by the interior than for any other thing.

Last edited by PCP; 01-08-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook