SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galley Safety Bar
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
As I contemplate my next boat, I have been thinking about the galley safety bar usually found in front of the stove/oven on most boats. A few questions come to mind.
1. What is the real purpose of this bar?
a. Something to hold onto when underway while cooking?
b. Clip in with harness and if so what kind of harness?
I'll break my self-imposed rule of not intruding on herSailNet for this one as I am the cook (and sometime chef) on Auspicious.

The principle function of the bar is to keep a person from being thrown against the cooker and causing the gimbal to swing, dumping whatever is on the cooktop (and potentially the oven if you haven't locked the door) on the sole and perhaps the person.

The secondary function is as a handhold.

I have yet to see a boat where the bar is useful for clipping to. Some people do put eyebolts in the galley to clip to but I prefer to wedge myself in. If something bad happens I want to be able to get away from the galley. *grin*

In the J-shaped galley on Auspicious I have cooked in conditions to full storm. I've had one other crew member able to do the same. Generally crew find a place to put themselves offwatch when things get bumpy and I feed them. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook