SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Changing Oil

10K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  ne57301 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 1976 Atomic 4. I want to change the oil. Sounds like I need to pump it out through the dip stick hole. Can anyone tell me how wide that is? That is, what diameter tube can I stick down there?

Thanks,
Scott

#27 ·
I use a vacuum pump on the Yanmar which works well. My question is why the heck these expensive engines do not have oil pan plugs. There is plenty of room to drain into a container in many boats. Screwing around with pumps seems to be a pointless, time wasting, and unnecessary endeavor. Is there some silly law prohibiting drain plugs?

#28 ·
"Is there some silly law prohibiting drain plugs? "
Supposedly YES although I've never seen it cited. It is also apparently considered bad engineering practice to put in a drain plug, which chould vibrate out or strip out or corrode out, releasing the critical engine oil and stopping the engine. And, going into the bilge and then the water outside.
With no drain plug that just can't happen.

With a drain plug plus a catch pan plus a safety wire it can't happen either...but no plug at all is the cheapest simplest surest way to make sure it can't happen. Supposedly required by 'code' somewhere, somehow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.