SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I guess Eric miss your post

But I hope not. The boat was not designed for that and two wheels on that boat only make sense if the boat has a large crew and that's the opposite of its sailing program (solo or short crew).

If you have a tiller and am extension all the winches are near by at reach. With wheels all winches are very far away and out of reach from the skipper.

For having this set up they should have re-positioned the winches.

Regards

Paulo
This is what happens when one is unable to follow this thread for some time, sometimes it's hard to run a job and a yachtclub at the same time... but the good part is that you get a few hours of good reading and fascinating videos when catching up .

No, it's not our boat, G .
Ours is still waiting for us nicely stored at the Structures yard and is now proudly wearing the "2011 award" (there's a low res picture of the Structures team in front of our boat in this diaporama Pogo 12,50 | Chantier naval STRUCTURES, constructeur des voiliers POGO (site officiel) :: STRUCTURES Shipyard, construction of sailing boat POGO (Oficial website).

And I think you are both perfectly right: these twin weels are not a good idea.
The steering positions are very exposed and completely out of reach of the winches. They stand in the aftermost, very wide and quite unsafe part of the cockpit .
Bringing the winches back on the coamings would mean losing one of the most attractive features of this cockpit design: winching in a comfortable, upright and sheltered position .
And last but not least, with twin wheels you will certainly loose most of the nice rudder feeling that is very famous on Pogo's (at least with the autopilot uncoupled) .

So no worry, we sticked to the tiller!

Best regards,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook