SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can Age Trump Design?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq
I am amused at the IP bashing on this site. I really think it is just jealousy judging by the posters. The are solidly built offshore boats that hold their values. They sail well in heavy - light winds. I think if you can swing one financially they are worth considering.

As for older boats. I love them. I really enjoy finding that gem that needs a complete refit and bringing it back.
I've been on new IPs, and the quality appeared good. Both my wife and I hope to see the interior of an IP 38 next year (89-91), since the idea of a forward pullman, and two heads, isn't necessarily a bad idea for four aboard. For sailing on the Columbia River, the cutter rig would be less than great (we sometimes tack every 10-15 mintues for hours on end), so it would be more of an "exit boat" than a daysailor or short-trip craft for us.

BTW, I did noticed that the email list for IPs here at sailnet has some pretty honest and supportive exchanges about IPs: http://list.sailnet.net/read/?forum=islandpacket

I agree with you about older boats as well-- we just got back from an excellent weekend cruise on our '73 27 footer. Hours of light air sailing, while others motored. I did discover that I have a water leak at the pump, and I need to replace or rebuild the original mechanical water pump, and I haven't rebedded all the deck hardware yet... The stuffing box is being tough to adjust, the AC wiring needs to be replaced... The list goes on, just like on any boat over 10 years old, but I also need to raise and enjoy the kids and not just work on boats (as fun as that may be).

Jim H
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook