SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to destroy a diesel in one easy step...
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: How to destroy a diesel in one easy step...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
A couple times I forgot to open the raw water engine cooling seacock after starting the engine. While warming up the engine the overheat alarm went off, opened the seacock and engine cooled down fine. It is raw water cooled so high temp alarm is at about 170 degree- should not have damaged engine.

I did not inspect the raw water pump and since then have run many hours on the engine without pump problems. Could the impeller still be damaged? I plant to change it say every 3 years.

There's a good chance your impeller is somewhat damaged.. they don't like to run dry. They will often continue to move adequate amounts of water despite a broken vane if there's no resulting pluggage... Also suddenly flashing cold water into an overheated block is another way to cause cracking.. probably better off the shut down, allow to cool then open the valve and restart.

Frequency of impeller changes probably should be based on hours more than simple elapsed time, but I know many who do it seasonally just because.

If part of an impeller vane is broken off it will find its way into the heat exchanger (if FWC) or 'who knows where' in the water jackets of a RWC engine. In a H/E it's usually easy to find/flush out. If it gets jammed up inside the engine itself it's very hard to know where it ended up and a passage could be 'starved' at some point. Not a nice prospect.

btw.. some people hang their engine key on the RW through hull valve handle.. tends to discourage 'forgetting'...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook