SailNet Community - View Single Post - All US Diesel for boats is red?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: All US Diesel for boats is red?

Paulo,

BIG disCUSSion on the Jeanneau-owners site re the red fuel. Seems like US, Canada, UK sell red dyed diesel when no road tax's are paid. Meanwhile, Netherlands is fining folks BIG time for any trace of red dye in the fuel system. Really bad for those in the UK, as no clear/green/blue'ish diesel is sold at the marina's. So for me, If i took off for europe from where I am, I'm in deep shista trouble! As my marina only sells red dyed diesel, due to no road taxes being paid! Which for the boat, bobcat, trackhoe that I have that are diesel, I do not need to pay.

IIRC, the issue in Europe, is whether or not VAT?!?! has been paid? I would hope, that being from somewhere other than Europe, while I would assume I am needing to pay VAT when I use something like fuel over their, the fuel I buy here would not have it, if they want the VAT for the fuel I bought over here, I should just have to pay the appropriate dollar (for lack of better currency useage) and be done with it. In the UK, they sell the red diesel WITH the proper VAT paid.......their are some issues over that way re all this.

Marty