SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast tabernacle project
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast tabernacle project

Progress!

The starting point for this project was and is an excellent DVD produced by Ed and Ellen Zacko titled, "How to Raise Your Mast Yourself". Ellen and Ed Zacko Sail around the world in the Lyle Hess designed NorSea 27 Entr'acte. Their sailing adventures are an inspiration. I have contacted them directly and they have answered all my questions more thoroughly than I could have hoped.

Here are "details" they have shared in response to my questions:

1/4" aluminum plate for the tabernacle
1/2" ss pin
Their mast does not ride on pin but sits on its base on the tabernacle. A Pin supported mast would be better if maintaining sailing tension while lowering was important. It is not one of my requirements
Wiring exits mast about a foot off the deck
Wiring couplers are Bulgin Buccaneer Connectors

Ed elaborated on many other considerations, too. He does a very through job of explaining how it works in the DVD.

Buy iinformative and entertaining Zacko DVDs - read below to learn more

Thanks to Ellen and Ed and all my friends at Sailnet I have run out of excuses to delay making the necessary hardware and adding cheek plates and a pin location to the mast. Learning a CAD program would be helpful I suppose so I could just send a file to my fabricator! It never ends!

If we get the mast and the tabernacle ready and installed changing the rigging will happen after stepping. That means the first test of the system will be taking the mast down before haul out. That will be a little anxious!

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook