SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ideas on securing wires inside mast?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ideas on securing wires inside mast?

Casey, Belden ought to know their stuff but I've always been taught, always heard the usage, of a "messenger line" (cable, etc.) as being the line you string between here and there, and use to pull other cables or wires back and forth. By riggers, electricians, anyone who has run one.

And a "cable puller" from the electricians I know, is the thing (gizmo or single cable itself) you attach to one end of a cable, to pull it through. And then you need to run a new messenger line to run another new cable, because you've just pulled out the one that was there before.

Does a "northerly" wind blow fom the north or the south? Despite all the definitions both ways, a northerly wind blows TOWARD not FROM the north. A North wind blows rom the north. A "northerly" one doesn't. Same same I suspect, just as so many people have taken to saying they will "insure" that something gets done, when they mean "ensure". Go back 20 years and the differences were clear, but today the meaning has been largely lost.

Call me stubborn, adamant (two sides of the same coin) or simply wrong, but I'll stand by the only usage I've ever heard all these years and call Belden wrong on this one. Even if it is right in their internal industry jargon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook