SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lake sailors: how do you like your wind?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Re: Lake sailors: how do you like your wind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
Wow, that makes the 15- 20 kt winds with gusts to 25 kts yesterday seem tame. I have to give it to you for your commitment to sailing.
Our season is short, & you can't 'pick your days' cuz every day has crazy built into it. Look how blue the sky is in the wind meter shot -- it's not like that 41 mph announced itself with a thunderhead, or anything. (The lenticular clouds might be a clue, heh). Ours are mostly katabatic winds, caused by geography: extremely localized pressure and temperature differences, rather than fronts or storm cells. (Tho we get those too.)

Here's a typical week in June -- one of our calmer months. The weather station only logs every 30 minutes, so it tends to miss peak gusts. But you get the idea.

wind2

Luckily, the water is solid by November:

wind 11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
What Finger Lake? Owasco for me.
I grew up on Canandaigua Lake & did a lot of windsurfing there. But most of our sailing was on Cayuga Lake, where we had a cottage near Union Springs. Forty miles long, 1-2 miles wide, and you can still drown in it. Owasco is a pretty little lake. We have distant relatives in Auburn.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook