SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caribbean Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Eryka...as it happens I was in Luperon WITH VanSant when I waited for 30 days! His book is worthwhile reading but he is not just offensive to women...he is an equal opportunity offender! Leaving Luperon, we took Chris Parkers' weather advice and went well offshore and had an EASY 300+ mile non-stop passage through the Mona passage and to the south shore or PR (Ponce is a WONDERFUL town). The boats that followed his book's advice on the SAME DAY and stayed in-shore had a rough passage, were several days behind us and one member here was even hit by lightning in one of the evening thunderstorms that WE MISSED DUE TO BEING OFFSHORE.
The point is not that I am a wonderful source of knowledge on this. VanSant has done it many more times than I have and is still alive so he must have done something right. The point is...don't rely on one source for your decision making. Listen to all the advice and check the conditions and know what you and your boat can do...then make your own decision.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook