SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
Re: Congratulations on the S24 purchase

[QUOTE=jamesnewsome;779593]Skygazer,

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality and performance of the Seafarer 24. The boat and manufacturer has quite a history. She was built in Huntington, NY and was designed by Philip Rhodes & James McCurdy.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Stainless Steel pin for the swing keel. It is (if it's the same as the Seafarer 29) permanently embedded in the fiberglass trunk. I'm not aware of any issues with the pin.

The keel cable is another matter. If it is stainless steel I highly advise replacing it with a synthetic line like Kevlar. Stainless steel cable will deteriorate in salt water within a matter of weeks. The last thing you want is a weighted keel crashing down when the cable breaks. There are documented occurrences of this happening and severe damage to the fiberglass hull, loss of the keel completely, and near sinking has resulted.

I also have a swing keel (Seafarer 29) and I do not raise the keel unless I've hit bottom or grounding is eminent. As soon as I have sufficient water under the keel, it goes back down. I switched to a Kevlar cable and it's been on my boat for 10 years, and I'm in salt water.

unquote/

My Congrats also. I have been eyeing a few different Seafarers in that size range and found them laid up very solidly. I have yet to crawl around in the bilges however.

My response is in regards to the comments about stainless and its durability under water. I recently had a weighted centerboard drop on me while on a sail and spent a sizable amount of time diving under the boat in a pretty good blow trying to rig a temporary pennant The original was stainless. It was ten years old and had not been out of the water for at least three years. On inspection in the yard it was absolutely impeccable. I hear alot of theoretical assertions about metal tech on here and no doubt much of it is well informed but I read that a stainless cable wont last in salt water I start having little questions like "What kind of stainless" in what marina with bad electrolysis and grounding issues etc....not a piece of stainless on this boat or any boat I have had back to 1968 has suffered from significant or even noticeable deterioration underwater.
Given the variety of metals out there and the variety of manufacturers. grades etc no doubt I have been lucky but feel the statement above is inadvisably dramatic. If stainless deteriorated that badly in cable form under a boat beleive me it would only be a few months before it started rotting just above the gunnels.
Anyway a little balance in judging materials for boating goes along way and maybe someone should remember that 90% of all metal on board most sailing ships was forged or cast iron and that even my first clam boat was fastened with galvanized fastenings and lasted ten years before it was thought wise to refasten with bronze.
I was tempted to convert to the new rope pennants but frankly they can be cut too easily one thing they are not miraculous about is real abrasion )sand, broken barnacles, crab trap cables etc. But just for the fun of it I will check back with reports on my stainless...Lets see how long it lasts
Have a great time with that boat!
ChrisCod

Last edited by oysterman23; 03-08-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook