SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gel Coat Repair Flop (Pics)
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012

maine89 is on a distinguished road
Re: Gel Coat Repair Flop (Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Sabre's got it - when I saw your pictures my first thought was "shouldn't have done that to prep the scratches." When I did mine, I thickened the gelcoat a little and knifed it into the scratches - I had some bad ones that were down to the glass and 12 feet long. I think there was a nail on a piling or something like that in the boats past. Those ones took up to three loads of gelcoat to fill adequately.

You also have to be careful to not sand & polish the touchup completely flush with the surroundings or you get the thin edges you are experiencing. Remember you are dealing with a convex surface so you are ALWAYS sanding a high spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Sabre's got it - when I saw your pictures my first thought was "shouldn't have done that to prep the scratches." When I did mine, I thickened the gelcoat a little and knifed it into the scratches - I had some bad ones that were down to the glass and 12 feet long. I think there was a nail on a piling or something like that in the boats past. Those ones took up to three loads of gelcoat to fill adequately.

You also have to be careful to not sand & polish the touchup completely flush with the surroundings or you get the thin edges you are experiencing. Remember you are dealing with a convex surface so you are ALWAYS sanding a high spot.
SloopJonB,

Trust me, had I not thought that was the way to do it, I never would have

It seemed to be unanimous online that gel coat needs a smooth surface or it will just bridge the gaps and crack easily.

I have some areas like the attached that I would love to fix (they are HIGHLY noticeable, more so than what I just "fixed") but there was no way I was going to try to sand them all out and build them back up again. Can these just be lightly sanded down the middle and then the whole area spread with gel coat? Just don't want it flaking off or something after I've done all the buffing and waxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
If it was me, I'd repair all the dings with thickened epoxy and Awlgrip the entire topsides.

'Not saying that's the right or proper thing to do, but if it was my boat, and I wanted it to look good, I'd say forget the fussy stuff and just go whole hog.
Siamese,

The topsides are actually in great shape. I just need to wash em thoroughly and then follow mainesail's guide (Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax) and I'll be looking brand new! Just didn't want to cut corners so I was going to fill in the dings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0548.jpg (29.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0549.jpg (11.3 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook