SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gel Coat Repair Flop (Pics)
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 03-09-2012 Thread Starter
maine89

Re: Gel Coat Repair Flop (Pics)

CalebD,

Yes it is very likely I didn't add enough coloring, the label warned "NOT" to exceed 1 tube per 4oz of gel coat, which must be really easy to follow if you're willing to risk a $20 tube of gelcoat to try ($50 kit with 2 x 2oz tubes and a bunch of coloring I'll never use).

I tried the coloring but again unless you're willing to commit to mixing up a bunch of this at once your ratios are very volatile. I added the smallest pinch of yellow that I could and it turned the mixture creme.

I did use that testing technique though. Actually I wasted a fair amount of the gel coat when I determined I was satisfied with the color and happily spread it all on, forgetting I hadn't added the hardener yet. Most of it scraped off but the rest I wiped off with a cloth and acetone.

My concern wasn't really the tones though (I read so many times that matching was so near impossible that I pretty much never had much hope short of luck) it was more about making a smooth surface for it to adhere to, and then once I realized that the color was going to show through, I wasn't happy.

The kit says I can add the gel coat without ANY coloring if the dent doesn't go through the gel coat. I'll have to give that a try tomorrow as well. I'll also try lightly sanding a thin line in the middle of a gash to clean/smooth it, wipe with acetone and see how that works.

Depends on how main patch fix goes

PS: Yes "grand" is the appropriate word for it. I swear I saw the west marine manager light up with joy when he saw my car drive in for the third time today. I really prefer to buy my stuff through amazon (save a lot) but for short notice stuff (like today's Evercoat Forumla 27 filler) I have to spend the big bucks. They are definite the convenience store of the marine world

1975 27' O'Day "Ice Breaker"
Heart is in Maine
Boat is in Rhode Island

Last edited by maine89; 03-09-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome