SailNet Community - View Single Post - Resealing/Replacing Beckson Ports?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Resealing/Replacing Beckson Ports?

This from left field.
A friend of mine has a 32' Endeavor with original Beckson ports in it. Many of them.
Replacement ports from Beckson are < $150 a piece. They are cheap and cheaply made. I am happy that my boat does not have them as on my friends boat from @ 1980 (which is newer then mine) many of the 'dogs' and plastic hinges have cracked and they leak consistently.
Beckson plastic port lights do not inspire 'Blue Water' confidence in me. If they break by normal mis-handling then what will a wave of angry water do to them?
Not that my friend wants to take his Endeavor 32' to Bermuda anytime soon as he is happy tooling about the Chesapeake with them in his boat, and that is just fine.
I'd also think about scrapping using Silicone and use a good brand of Butyl tape to bed them. I would also seriously think about scrapping Beckson's ports altogether if I planned to use my boat anywhere offshore for more then a few days.
Considering how cheap ($$$) these port lights are I understand why builders and owners continue to use them. They just do not inspire much confidence in me.
Your boat, your call.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook