SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gel Coat Repair Flop (Pics)
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Gel Coat Repair Flop (Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine89 View Post
SloopJonB,

Trust me, had I not thought that was the way to do it, I never would have

It seemed to be unanimous online that gel coat needs a smooth surface or it will just bridge the gaps and crack easily.

I have some areas like the attached that I would love to fix (they are HIGHLY noticeable, more so than what I just "fixed") but there was no way I was going to try to sand them all out and build them back up again. Can these just be lightly sanded down the middle and then the whole area spread with gel coat? Just don't want it flaking off or something after I've done all the buffing and waxing.
I'd do one of two things - spring for a pro to spray some gelcoat over the necessary spots and rub it out myself or, pick up one of those Pre Val sprayers - sort of a cross between a spritzer and a disposable spray gun - and spray the gelcoat on myself. As long as you prep the area by thoroughly degreasing it and them wiping with good acetone, you shouldn't have any trouble with it sticking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook