SailNet Community - View Single Post - Resealing/Replacing Beckson Ports?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Resealing/Replacing Beckson Ports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mark Plastics, who still supply Islander and other "original" replacements, also say silicone sealant only. I can only guess that some makers spec silicone simply because it can be pulled out at a later date when it always will create new business. I've never heard an "engineering" reason to use it.

They spec it because unlike some polyurethane sealants, and more importantly polysulfides, silicone does not leech the plasticizers out of the plastic and make the ports prematurely brittle.

If anyones ever tried to remove a port put in with Dow 795, or another quality architectural grade silicone, they know how tenacious it can be. It can be as bad as 4200 to remove and often the Beckson ports crack in the process....

I'd suggest going straight to a port that will both increase curb appeal and be far more robust...

Installing New Found Metals Port Lights (LINK)

These were the old Becksons that came out of my own boat. Does not give you the warm and fuzzies when off-shore in rough water....

At the time we converted from Beckson to a SS ports we paid about $48.00 more per port than Beckson. Today that pricing spread may be different?? With 8 ports that made the difference about $384.00, port light to port light for 8, and one that was well worth it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-09-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook