SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gel Coat Repair Flop (Pics)
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Gel Coat Repair Flop (Pics)

Couple of tricks I use;

#1 I mix my first fill of the gouge with un-waxed but already color matched gelcoat and cabosil. This prevent some shrinking and also prevents "bleed through". It makes for a great "patch" & leveler to the gouge. It also prevents the gelcoat from "crazing" and pulling away from the patch due to the thickness. Thick unreinforced gelcoat = bad...

#2 Build it up taller than the surrounding surface and let it kick.

#3 The top layer will still be tacky so I shave it off with a razor blade or sharp chisel and bring it as flush with the surroundings as you can with "manual tools" without trying to touch the surrounding gelcoat.

#4 Then, and only then, do I sand it flush. The old gelocat will sand away FASTER than the new so reserve fairing as your absolute last resort.

#5 I then tape painters paper to the hull surrounding the gouge and roll them back and tpe them to the hull creating a rounded wave type edge facing the gouge. When you spray the gel it helps to "feather" the edges of the freshly sprayed gel and helps with "blending" the repair.

#5 I then mix up some Wax-Sol and the color matched gelcoat in a Preval sprayer, with some acetone to thin it, add the MEK-P and spray the gel onto the surface being careful to not make a thick "edge" under the paper. Sorry I don't have a recipe for the thinning and I just do it by feel and experience..

#6 Let it kick, dewax it and feather it with wet sand paper. Once that is done buff it to match the rest of the hull.

#7 You will not get a good color match until you buff up the hull to a glossy finish..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook