SailNet Community - View Single Post - Depth sounders
Thread: Depth sounders
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012

johnharch is on a distinguished road
Re: Depth sounders

Elena, I have come to the conclusion that on the 34, there is no ideal location and having talked to a lot of people, the is no normal location. If you're not concerned with shallow water performance, I don't think it matters much.

On the 34, any good forward location will have too much deadrise and I have concluded that that, coupled, maybe, with my transducer being old is my problem. I have about 27 deg deadrise where my transducer is now and I can find no thru-hull transducer that will work with that much other than the fairing models which then protrude below the hull a bit.

Putting the transducer forward has two advantages that I see, cleaner water when in the shallows and you see what is happening on the bottom a little sooner. But I don't like the idea of the fairing protruding. It just seem like something to get broken by a minor collision with a log or something.

I have been testing shoot thru the hull transducers and seem to get reasonable results aft around the galley areas, so I am going to install a P79 smart transducer somewhere around there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook