SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gel Coat Repair Flop (Pics)
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012

maine89 is on a distinguished road
Re: Gel Coat Repair Flop (Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
.... OK.. sorry, I misunderstood what you typed and your pics zoned in on 'the bad'..... my bad.....
No problem I wish my deck only had those few scratches!

That is my next project.

I opted to take the next couple days off from the boat because the temperature is in the high 30s low 40s and that likely isn't good for the gel coat and the filler specifically suggested over 50.

Monday and Tuesday are back into the high 50s (heat wave!) so I'll give it a shot then and let you guys know how it turns out

Mainesail,

Thanks for posting!! I had seen in some other threads that you mentioned you used cabosil but wasn't sure how to go about using. Perhaps my evercoat poly filler is similar in similar in function?

You say that thick unreinforced gel coat is bad. How thick is too thick for gel coat? Would it only be an issue when filling the whole gouge with gel coat or could I run into issues while trying to build back up what I think I sanded away?

I've also read about the sprayer but wasn't sure how that would be done since it was so thick. I didn't know it should be thinned with acetone, thanks!

Last edited by maine89; 03-09-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook