SailNet Community - View Single Post - Examining Catalina 22
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012

Vermonter is on a distinguished road
Examining Catalina 22

I have gotten the chance to get an older Catalina 22 fixed keel. I have quite a bit of experience around power boats (especially commercial fishing boats in the 30-45 foot range), I have sailed sunfish and small sailboats some and I am a fairly capable carpenter and handyman.
This boat has not been used in several years and has had water sitting in the cabin for some time, although I cannot find serious cracks or holes in the hull (aside from some to-be-expected damage to the gel coat). I expect it would need a lot of the wood replaced, some painting and some work on the lines before I could use it on Lake Champlain as I would like. The sails have been stored elsewhere safe and dry.

My questions are:
1) Is it worth trying to use this boat after it has had a significant amount of water in it? I don't need it to be pretty, but I would (obviously) like it to be safe.
2) What should I look out for in terms of serious structural damage?
3) What do I absolutely need to do to it? What should I do to it?
4) What kind of navagation/safety equipment (besides charts and life vests) do I need?
5) The drain in the bottom of the boat was plugged, but is now free. Do I need to plug it at the top end before putting it in the water?
6) There is slight cracking (separation) of the fiberglass inside the cabin where the bulkhead supports connect to the hull. How (can I?) fix this?
7) Is it worth repainting it this spring? Or put it in the water for the summer and see if it floats? If yes what paint should I use?
8) Finally, is this a good boat to learn how to work a "real" sailboat rather than a sunfish?

Thank you so very much!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook