SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not one nice Marina from Trenton to Essington, Pa
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
Re: Not one nice Marina from Trenton to Essington, Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
Hi folks,

I sail alot on the Delaware River and in NY Harbor. There seems to be a dearth of nice marinas in NY Harbor in NYC as well as NJ. Some have some really nice restaurants, and some of them even have pools.

Why does the Philadelphia area have such crappy marinas. Helk, the Philadelphia Marine Center doesn't even dredge their marina.

I tell you. The boating experience on the Delaware River is getting worse and worse. I am thinking about moving my boat to the Sandy Hook area or Jersey City area. Yes I'll pay more but at least I'll get services and amenities.

Any thoughts on this?
having grown up in Delaware County and having spent my summers as a youth on the Chesapeake Bay I believe the answer can be summed up in two sentences:

1) because the Delaware River and it's shoreline in this area is all industrial and ugly
2) The Chesapeake Bay is only a 45 minute drive from there and is beautiful.

Why eat hamburger when you have have filet mignon?

ps: there's not a single decent marina until you get to the C&D Canal.

My step son has worked as a dock hand at the Chesapeake Inn for the last three summers while he was in school and folks coming from the Delaware to the C&D Canal think they've landed in an Oasis compared to the Delaware.

Last edited by administrator; 03-09-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook