SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012

Talisman66 is on a distinguished road
Re: Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by keforion View Post
Good to hear from S&J 45 aficionados. We are re-building one in St Petersburg -- Salt Creek Marina where Charley Morgan had his office for many years. The S&J factory is just across the creek from here. The boat has been on the hard for most of her life so has no blisters or other problems and she is sound as a rock.

I heard from a local surveyor there that S&J actually bought (rescued) many of the original Morgan manufactured hulls which had been abandoned by their owners (a fairly common DIY occurence), trucked them back to S&J, rebranded and renumbered them and then sold them as S&J hulls. This guy knew Jenks personally and thought him something of a scoundrel who eventually did jail time. Or maybe its just another sea story. Any one else know anything about any of this?

In any event I also think she is a great boat, way more than the fat-assed 46 with which she is sometimes confused. I have also heard that her proper designation, by Morgan, was Ocean Racer 45. Not to be confused with the Nelson-Marek 45, an entirely different animal, reversed transom and all.

We have removed the engine, lowered the salon floor in that area so its flush all the way for'd, filled the prop aperture and enlarged the rudder a bit -- original reports were that she was a bit squirrely down-wind.

Looking forward to hearing more from y'all.

K E Froeschner
Orion
Nice purchase, post up pics when you get a chance. I considered lowering the salon floor or raising the fwd floor. I chose not to lower the floor because I did not want to lessen the tank capacity. Somewhere in this thread are pics of my new custom tanks and toolbox install under the settee. I did enlarge my rudder and reshape the upper portion by removing a section from the hull and adding that area to the rudder.

This years projects are custom 316 stainless modular davit system incorporating the dinghy motor lift and wind generator pole. Dodger, cockpit sunshade;hartop vs. softtop. Bamboo whitewashed flooring inside. Finish SSB install. Custom solar panel mount...

Finally the weather here is to break into the 60's next week, time to get started.
s/v Talisman 1979 SJ45 #179
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook