SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012

keforion is on a distinguished road
Re: Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

Talisman:

Good to hear from you!

We are headed for Florida to do several weeks worth of work on the interior to make her habitable, on the fo'c's'le locker and on the windshield/dodger. The windshield is from a '79 Chevy van. We are also considering the hard roof vs. bimini question. I have a radical idea of making a hard roof over the cockpit in the shape of a very shallow garvey (see H I Chappele) so we have an extra dinghy/lifeboat.

We did the tanks as built-into's, i.e. epoxied the interior of the bilge in three sections, including where the engine used to be, and epoxied the sole down permanently over all, with large deckplate access to each, plus the usual fill, tap and vent lines of course. Total capacity is about 300 gallons.

We also added a little "dog house" over the aft end of the cockpit to make a nice little two-berth cabin for kids. Or just storage with easier access than the original afterdeck hatch.

And we extended the ass end by about 22" to a sloped (45 degres) transom. My only aesthetic objection to Mr Morgan's beautiful lines was his vertical standing transom. (I think it was a CCA rule cheat.) Incidentally, a previous post that the OR45 was designed to CCA NOT IOR is spot on. But I would add that the hull design is almost completely uncontaminated by attempts to optimize rating under any rule, except perhaps the aforementioned transom.

The space between the old and the new transoms is our propane (and other flammables) locker, completely sealed from the rest of the boat. And in case you were wondering, the transom slopes back, i.e. NOT reversed as per IOR fashions.

The rig, on the other hand, is definitely a creature of the CCA age.

Ours is a yawl and we plan to keep the mizzen. But the mainmast is too short and the foretriangle too big. We are planning to extend the mast to 60' above Lwl, move both masts for'd by about 2' and bring the forestays aft to about 5' abaft the stemhead.

Yep forestays is plural -- two about 2" apart laterally, a staysail with boom on one, an overlapping jib on the other.

OK, I'll shut up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook