SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rawson 30- A Blue Water Cruiser?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Rawson 30- A Blue Water Cruiser?

The hull IIRC is reasonably bullet proof. As the fish trawlers that company made of fiberglass were very strong! The sailboats were built accordingly. So from that standpoint, it probably would go anywhere with out issues per say.

One of the issues I see with this boat, is being a pilot house, reasonably smaller in size, they could go/break in some bigger waves etc, causing some serious issues. SO that would be something to figure out how to instal some storm boards that one puts over the bigger windows to keep them from breaking.

About a year ago, there was an article in Good Old boat on one of these, if you can find tha article, read it. If not, let me know, I know the writer, and could probably figure out how to get you a pdf/copy of it.

Personal opinion, I would choose a different boat and style if it were me frankly! For here in the NW, as I got older, a pilot house sailboat like this might be in my future, but even still, there are some better/faster sailing boats than this one frankly.

Marty