SailNet Community - View Single Post - Build it or Buy it?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
building my own boat from scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhahn
I'm a relatively inexperienced sailor who is looking to further my sailing skill and at the same time pick up some boat maintenance and repair skills by possibly building my own boat from scratch. I've always been a fairly mechanically inclined person, spending a lot of time growing up building things from wood with my grandfather who was a carpenter by trade and fixing cars with my father. I painted houses for three summers while in college (which I've sadly just graduated from) and so have a good amount of experience in scrapping, sanding, priming, caulking, and painting. I'm not looking to build anything remotely large, somewhere in the 16 footdaysailer range.

In terms of experience I've sailed around Buzzard's Bay here in Massachusetts several times crewing on a friend's 33 foot Catalina and started sailing on my own this summer on the Charles River at Community Boating (I highly recommend them to anyone in the Boston area, great people and very affordable - http://www.community-boating.org/)

My question is: what is the best course of action on this is? What books or internet resources can you recommend to further my research? I've seen many listings for boat plans, but are there any good ones? Is it better to research hull design theory and try to get a hold of some CAD software (I'm fairly skilled with AutoDesk Inventor.) I spent two years as a mechanical engineer and graduated with a degree in Mathematics so the theory and the physics are not something I'm afraid of. My last question is how is the resale on a home-made boat? If I should come to build my own boat I don't plan on keeping it forever. Can I expect to recoup a decent amount of the input costs or does the value drop significantly since its not professionally made? Any thoughts or advice you can offer are greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Zachary Hahn
If you want to go in this direction, I'd suggest you look on Ebay - there's usually some project boats for sale. By buying someone else's failed dream for short money, like $100, you can start your own failed dream with minimal initial investment. That way, when you sell it for $100 in a year ot two, you're only out the $5,000-10,000 that you might be able to spend on it in the meantime.
This comment may be cynical, but its not to far from reality. Like hurricane-damaged production boats, most home-made boats end up with market values that are a fraction of the costs fo their components (engine, sails, hardware, instruements).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook