SailNet Community - View Single Post - traveler lines and hardware
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006

carlosthedog is on a distinguished road
Thanks Sailingdog. I was wondering what kind of clutches they might be., so I could add one that matches.

I think you are right, I could add a bullseye but I would still need to run the line down to the deck level before running it under the dodger. To do that I would need a block just ahead of the dodger. The pictures don't show it but the dodger will run just between the traveller and set of clutches and the traveller sits about 4" above the cabin top. I may even have to move the clutches back some to make room for a block.

I just call it a California Dodger because a canvas outfit in New York (http://www.peckenpaugh.com/Dodgers.htm) calls them that and I live in California. I admit they probably call them that more for promotional purposes than for any real distinct differences between them. Below is an excerpt from their web page explaining the differences.

Traditional Dodger: Traditional dodgers are just that. They are an old design that has sufficed for many years. They are generally a two bow frame and a one piece canvas cover. They were designed to fold forward out of the way when not in use. Unfortunately this puts folds and wrinkles in the clear vinyl windows and renders them unusable to see through.

California Dodger: The California dodger is a newer design dodger. With its rigid two piece frame, roll up front window and removable sides, it is a much more versatile product. The removable side curtains and roll up front curtain offers the advantage of more airflow through the cockpit and cabin on warm days while still providing shade over the companionway. When curtains are in place, it allows for protection from the rain and spray, same as the traditional dodger design. Also the removable and "roll up" clear window material isn't damaged from folding.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook