SailNet Community - View Single Post - Propeller drag test under sail.
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Propeller drag test under sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
MS, you are a marine mechanical stud. I'm surprised the lady posters here haven't suggested you pose for a calendar.

Way cool test. No questions really, just way cool.

Did you ever do any feathering prop tests? Max-prop procedure is..... neutral, engine off, reverse for a few seconds, neutral. It's a whole different ball game than the purpose of this test. I'm just curious what happens in real life if the feathering prop is left in reverse.
The drag on hem is so minimal that it would be hard to measure differences. MIT has already done it far more accurately than I could and all the folders and feathering props they tested did very well and had minimal drag...

I do have a brand new Flex-O-Fold three blade in my shop that will be replacing a Max on a friends boat. It will be interesting to see if he can tell a difference. This is being done mostly because the Max can still catch pot buoys where a folder can't....

I am installing a two blade Flex-O-Fold on our boat this spring. We'll see how it does. If it vibrates the Campbell Sailor will go right back on & the FOF will be sold........ Our boat has as close to zero vibration right now as any boat I've ever been on so it will be an interesting comparison..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook