SailNet Community - View Single Post - macgregor or not to macgregor - lake michigan
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
Re: macgregor or not to macgregor - lake michigan

Which MacGregor are you looking at? They made many boats in various configurations.

I'm going to assume that you're looking at one of the 26' motor sailers.

It appears to be a rather robust boat for inland waters, and I've seen some pretty hairy video of them in less than ideal conditions. They don't sail overly well, but you can drop the engine and run if needed. The cabin layout is alright, but the cockpit felt a little off. I can't put my finger on it exactly, it's just odd. Perhaps once you got used to it...

I think of it as more of a cruising motorboat that can also be sailed, so it's not exceptionally quick but certainly faster than a sailboat.

If you're not looking to go onto L. Michigan in serious weather, and if sailing speed isn't of concern then I think it would be alright.

Think of it as a waterborne RV: It's no sportscar by any stretch of the imagination, and you wouldn't want to be around a tornado either, but it would be comfortable for weekending or perhaps longer.