SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast tabernacle project
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast tabernacle project

Sky,

I have given some thought to how to manage the mast but that system is still "on the drawing board". I expect to mount a crutch at the bow. It will be braced to the bow rail and perhaps the chain plate. It will have a nylon roller to support the mast. How high it will extend is still a question. It could easily be adjustable. There will be an upward moment at the tabernacle and the mast will want to roll on its side. I can probably prevent the roll at the bow crutch but will need to be able to lift the mast to clear the steaming light so roll control would be good to have at the tabernacle end at least at the "capture". The mast will get rolled to the stern where it will be supported by a stern crutch. This stern "crutch" will be able to keep the mast from rolling on its side while it is riding above the deck. The sketches I have of a "device" at the tabernacle are simply two pieces of 1/4" x 2 aluminum bar, their actual length is yet to be determined, with 3/8" bolts connecting them at each end. One end of this pair is bolted together through the slot in the tabernacle under the mast after the mast is resting on the bow crutch but before the mast bolt is released. The other end of the pair is bolted together with a nylon roller between them. This roller is above the mast. I might use 2 pair of bars and two rollers to form a sort of triangle with the rollers above the mast. When the mast bolt is released the mast base would rise and be "captured" by the rollers above it. The aluminum bar / rollers would store easily.

It is more complicated than that. Being able to adjust the bow crutch might help when moving the mast aft?

Tinker, tinker.

What do you think?

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook