SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar 2QM15 return fuel line leak
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012
Boatjames

boatjames is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2QM15 return fuel line leak

thanks for the parts list Daddyhop -- that is really useful and at least I can search and check whether it is still available!

Rich H, thanks for your thoughts. I wonder whether the pressure issue applies here or not, as the circuit I think you are describing is where the the fuel return line returns the fuel to the fuel tank. However on 2QM15 the fuel return line feeds the fuel back into the fuel filter for more immediate re-circulation. So, that being the case, is pressure still not an issue?

I've read somewhere that this arrangement is not a great idea because the fuel is too warm that is recirculated and this can reduce engine performance, however that is how it is rigged up!

Also didn't quite follow how/where the water gets into the fuel return line to form sulphuric acid.

Great tip Rich H re stainless steel piping, and if a replacement part is not available, I'll look into getting one made if the silver solder option is regarded as too unreliable/risky

This is what the pipe looks like (the horizontal one in picture, and you may be able to make out a drop of fuel towards the right-hand end leaking)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg return-fuel-line-yanmar-2qm15.jpg (95.9 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook