SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast tabernacle project
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast tabernacle project

Of course, I haven't seen the DVD I think you mentioned at the start of this thread. I'm just going by the "pictures in my head". But what those pictures show me is that the pressure on the hinge pin will jam it in place. If you could remove the pressure it would just slide right out. If you drive it out the mast will fly up and add momentum to the already crushing weight at the bow pulpit. You know how leverage works, pipe over the wrench handle, or even a nut cracker. With the length of your mast if a bird landed on the end it could raise a human on the short end. I'd prefer you to be in total control at all times, able to stop and clear lines or just pause and think.

If you think the tripod sounds too complicated (it's really quite easy when you are doing it, harder to explain or understand than do) you might at least consider a vertical support from the ground lifting the weight of the mast. The tripod can't tip over, but the vertical pole might work if the bow support is rigid.

On my (other) boat I am using the mast for a ridge for the large tarp, set up high enough to work under. I just took a piece of cardboard and cut and scribed and fit 'till I got a good fit around the mast (sail track down). I then transfered this curve to a piece of wood, and hacked it out. This cut out is on top of the vertical wooden support (2x6 or 2x8 I think) and holds the mast from rotating. Fit a cut out on the vertical support I'm saying is not as good as the tripod, and you can support the mast without it twisting on you.

Nothing much to lose, even if it's just a back up. But that leverage is a killer, so be safe. I used to do lots of ladder work in Portland, I can tell you that if you are short of the balance point there is no limit to the apparent weight.

Remember Murphy, just at the critical moment a bird will land on the end, a big gust of wind will come up, and you will slip on a banana peel.

Edit: Maybe you can figure the amount of weight it would take to balance the short end. And maybe your bow support will be substantial. And maybe you are a big heavy guy. In that case, you can just sit on the mast to unbind the hinge pin, and let it slowly up.

Last edited by skygazer; 03-10-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook