SailNet Community - View Single Post - can only tack close reach, can't close-haul
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: can only tack close reach, can't close-haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieland View Post
i have an O'day Daysailer 2 sailing in north carolina lakes and im unable to achieve more of a turn to close-haul. ive been sailing since October of last year and have yet to have more of angle into wind, can only move at a close reach. im trimming sails in as mush as possible as well tried other forms, but now wondering and hoping im missing something. the winds are usually 5 to 15knts. so, when tacking the close-reach just adds time to my advance, but would like to improve to have more control. if i turn more toward a close-haul, trim in sails or adjust accordingly, i loose wind and motion. any ideas? im sailing with the jib and main. thanks
Does that mean you are new to sailing? back to basics. the beam reach is the fastest point of sail. when you sheet in and turn upwind to sail close hauled you will loose some speed and the closer you get to the point when the jib starts to luff on the leading edge the slower the boat will be. many beginners have a hard time finding the small difference between pointing properly and pinching to high into the wind