SailNet Community - View Single Post - Volvo MD7a
Thread: Volvo MD7a
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012

simpsoned is on a distinguished road
Re: Volvo MD7a

I have a vintage 78 MD7A in my Newport and I am in a cooler climate (northern Idaho...) so I know of what you speak. Mine cranks quite long if I am starting it after being idle for a couple of weeks...but as long as I crank it over every week it does just great. the key on the MD7A that I found is to make sure your throttle is at least 2/3 forward and if it doesn't catch within about 6-10 seconds, back off and try again. I have had to resort to starting fluid when I have laid her up for over a couple of weeks, but if you use it sparingly, she fires right up. Klem is certainly right about the noise and the vibration...even with new motor mounts she shakes and dances...and a loose engine access hatch adds to the noise. The thing about the old Volvo's is, if the compression is good, they are as dependable as you can get, with very little maintenance. We have several older boats in the marina with D6's and D7's and we all swear by them...as far as heating it up, a crankcase heater (dipstick style) will help if you have shore power.
Ed
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook