SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding a PSC37???
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012

Seacurves is on a distinguished road
Re: Singlehanding a PSC37???

Thanks for sharing barkmecrazy!

Here is how my story continued after all the great suggestions on this thread.

I got the Tide Marine Strong Track installed at the start of last season. The main was not light or easy to lift as a result, but I definitely could get it hoisted from the cockpit now, which was not seemingly possible before.

Generally I found I had to ensure about mid-way up the mast all reefing and other lines were loose (as advised from others on this thread). Then at about a few feet to go I used the large winch and winched the remaining few feet up. I was able to do this myself with no problem, but plenty of muscle.

What I am planning to do differently this season is use 2 reefing lines back to the cockpit for each reef point, vs one line doing all the work. A lot more lines but I did not like my mainsail shape reefing with just a single line.

So the upshot is: I still don't really have single-handing down yet, mainly due to lack of really doing it. I kind of would love to just go out alone as you mentioned you do but my husband is not happy with the concept... at all. So the compromise this season is that we both learn to fully single-hand -- but while we are both on our PSC37. Likely not the same exquisite experience, but a path towards single-handing nonetheless.

I must admit, between my husband and I, I have been hogging all the docking and just about everything in-between. So time to share and see if that provides the practice and added proficiency I am looking for.

Again, thank you for the suggestion of cam cleat. I plan to continue the joy of experimentation this season.
PSC37 #359

Last edited by Seacurves; 03-11-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook