SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where to start?
Thread: Where to start?
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 03-11-2012
Smart Pig
Re: Where to start?

Originally Posted by mikemets05 View Post
I am 17 and have only sailed a few times, at this point I would like to continue my sailing and hopefully this summer or next summer get a small daysailer. I have sailed a pixel probably three times with an instructor. I do not exactly like the place I have been sailing. I do not have any family or friends that can help me learn. What would be the next step for me? I live on long island, NY and have sailed in Jamaica Bay in Queens.

Thank You,
I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. If I did please direct me to where it should be.

At your age -- I would go to any club and seek out some good skipper who is in need of crew on a one-design boat -- pick out one that sails with only two or three total on board. A Lightning, Scot, Star, Etchells, Thistle, etc. That way you'll be a big part of the team instead of just a boom sitter, and learn much faster. Commit to being available for most of the summer. Most clubs (maybe all) will not require you to be a member to crew. Don't worry about making mistakes - as you'll make everyone of them at least once. But, you won't make the same mistake twice.

The views and opinions expressed by this pig do not necessarily reflect those of any human being. OINK --
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome