SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where to start?
Thread: Where to start?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012

Smart Pig is on a distinguished road
Re: Where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemets05 View Post
I am 17 and have only sailed a few times, at this point I would like to continue my sailing and hopefully this summer or next summer get a small daysailer. I have sailed a pixel probably three times with an instructor. I do not exactly like the place I have been sailing. I do not have any family or friends that can help me learn. What would be the next step for me? I live on long island, NY and have sailed in Jamaica Bay in Queens.

Thank You,
Mike
I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. If I did please direct me to where it should be.

At your age -- I would go to any club and seek out some good skipper who is in need of crew on a one-design boat -- pick out one that sails with only two or three total on board. A Lightning, Scot, Star, Etchells, Thistle, etc. That way you'll be a big part of the team instead of just a boom sitter, and learn much faster. Commit to being available for most of the summer. Most clubs (maybe all) will not require you to be a member to crew. Don't worry about making mistakes - as you'll make everyone of them at least once. But, you won't make the same mistake twice.