SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tip of Mast hit bridge...
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012
ranger22owner

ranger22owner is on a distinguished road
Tip of Mast hit bridge...

So I was going out for a sail this morning on my ranger 22 ft sailboat 1978 when a toll bridge operator apparently did not hear my airhorn. My marina is at the end of a waterway and in order to leave you must pass under this bridge which is usually open. It is 100% my fault and I am taking full responsibility given that I am less than a 6 month experienced sailor/boater so my negligence is not acceptable. Good thing is no one was hurt.
Now I am wondering, my mast was broken off about a foot down from the tip causing the boat's bow to go about 3 feet up. As I can see right now the wind direction arrow is broken off and none of the lines were affected. My mast seems to not be bowed at all but I am wondering how to tell if I need a new mast or if I can get it repaired somewhere. Once again my mast really looks straight and the base iOS still in tact. The only thing is the very tip is broken off. So how do I know to get a new mast if so how much approximately would it cost and where could I get it. If no what can I do to repair it or where I can take it. One more question my engine seemed to get flooded and would not start. It starts and puts for about 10 seconds then shuts off. Is my outboard 4 stroke engine screwed or do I just keep pulling on it to flush out the air fitter from any water? Any suggestions would help please no criticism because I realize I am brand new and this is a huge learning curve that happend the wrong way. Sorry for the length but thankyou.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook