SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbie-ish finally starting posting!
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012

ldog68 is on a distinguished road
Talking Newbie-ish finally starting posting!

Hello to all! I have been lurking around here and reading posts for a long time now. I am a newer member to the sailing community, and have been sailing for about the last three years. Sailing is no easy feat to accomplish here in New Mexico, where I currently reside.We have a ton of beach and just a little water.I, like a few others on these boards, grew up commercial fishing in Alaska. I have been around boats all my life. There is just something about sailing, that has captured my undivided attention! I currently own 3 sailboats. This came about by having big dreams and not enough time to fulfill them. The first boat I bought, was a 27' Catalina. PO said it was sailable as he had just taken off the water a month before. I rigged it in front yard (a few good stories there for later)and decided I was not in agreement with his assesment. So after doing alot of reading, I realized the work was going to keep me off the water too long. This led to the purchase of a Catalina 22' in much better shape! I have been sailing this poor little boat every chance I get! This winter I picked up an O'day 14' Javelin also. I have not put it in the water yet, but looks to be a fun boat. The Catlina 27 restoration has been sporadic over the last couple of years, but took a nice jump yesterday, when the admiral approved my leave and I was allowed to spend 4 uninterupted hours sanding through the 7+ coats of bottom paint! I finished about a 1/4 of the port side bottom, and the port half of the keel is 90% sanded. I have boxes of parts waiting in line for this boat! So wish me luck. I'll try to get some pictures posted tonight, after work.

Last edited by ldog68; 03-11-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Posted under wrong section. Sorry, trying to figure out how to move post to introductions....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook