SailNet Community - View Single Post - NADA values vs asking price how much is it really worth?
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 10-04-2006
Gene T

I don't put much stock in these boat values, some are based on a simple depreciation schedule. Even if selling prices are reported it is difficult to report condition and equipment on sold boats. The sample of sold boats is too small to be meaningful. But it is also just a possible the boat is grossly over priced. While a surveyor is necessary for checking out the boat during the purchase process, the surveyor can't tell you what the boat is worth. So, you are in a tight spot. You need to decide if the boat is worth it or not. I usually try to put together a spread sheet adding or subtracting value based on what I am looking for in a boat. A new engine could be worth $10k to me, new sails $2k - $5k, electronics $?. Start listing all the things you think the boat needs. Compare this boat with others you have looked at and offer accordingly. But if you are convinced this is the boat you want then the actual price is much less important.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome