SailNet Community - View Single Post - Masthead Rig Genny Height
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006

dave.verry is on a distinguished road
Masthead Rig Genny Height

OK all you armchair experts, I have a question on headsail configuration.

I have been sailing for several decades and have sailed catboats, fractional rigs and masthead rigs. I had been away from sailing for 10 years raising my family and last year acquired a new to me 26’ masthead rig with, I think, original sails.

The headsail tack shackle is mounted on a steel cable about 1 foot long. This keeps the head sail off the deck and allows me to see under it, HOWEVER, I have also noted that the head of the sail is about 2 feet from the masthead (I think the sail is a 135% Genny). Is this normal? Doesn’t the sail need to go all the way to the masthead in a correctly rigged boat?

Not only is the head of the Genny low, but the foot of the Genny was about the same distance below the boom as the head of the Genny is from the masthead.

If the headsail height is wrong, then one of the previous owners shortened the cable, shortened the sail, or I have a sail that is not made for my boat.

Can some of you please let me know if the headsail is suppose to go all the way to the masthead?

I tried using a rope to move the head sail temporarily all the way to the masthead and thought the boat sailed better. It was pointing higher into the wind (hard to tell as the wind was extremely variable). Does this make sense?

One says this is old, and therefore good..

The other says this is new, and therefore better...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook