SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012

MarioG is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

With in the matter of a year I went from swing keel (Chrysler 22) to fin keel (Chrysler 26) to modifed full keel (Endeavor 32) is my only claim to knowadge.

The swing keel was great for the lake sailing we did and it being our 1st sailboat made learning what running aground meant with the ease of dealing with it. I could see sailing it on the coast in fairer weather. Also great for getting in and out of the water. we stored it on the hard between outtings with mast up.

The fin keel was on our coastal/sound boat that we sailed long weekends on unfamiliar waters. Great for the rougher larger waters but it didn't stop me from thinking how nice if it was also the swing keel version when we ran aground a few times. Fun all around thou I'm never sure the other boats knew we were racing at times.

Now that we are liveaboard cruisiers the modified full keel meets our needs very well.
With the experiance we gained with the other 2 boats, We have been able to cruise the east coast sailing alot on the outside or even sailing the ICW due to its shallow draft. I guess we have learned how to handle it well enough that I have been able to back it out of tight spaces with out much trouble. I know I don't sail as fast as the fin keel boats but I'm in no hurry and it is my home. I don't think I would like it as much if I was only useing it on weekends and I was out to play.

So me being NO expert can only say that it really depends on what type of sailing you do as to what type of keel is better.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook