SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Even your 3'6" of draft, 2' less than mine would not have gotten you into Fishermans bay on lopez at about 11:30 am on july 1 last summer. Tide was a -2.5, channel is dredged to 5' at 0 tide! While you would not have waited as long to get into it after low tide as I did, you would still be waiting! altho not as long as another fellow with his Cat 420mkII with a bit over 7' of draft! Both his and another were sitting on the ground at the dock when low tide hit in the marina! neither suffered any damage. I bumped going in......

Generally speaking, at least off of Edmonds where I am, my depth guage does not work, as it is usually deeper than 400', so reality is, there are VERY few spots here in the sailish sea one needs to WORRY about draft as compared to the east coast.

Then your boat is smaller in WL, weighs 1500 more lbs than mine, 100# less SA........maybe you can out point me, then again...........I doubt you will sail faster ALL the time. One can get a fin to lie ahule, yeah a bit harder, but one can do it!

At the end of the day, there is not a right or wrong. Only what one thinks will suit them best.