SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wiring & Installing A Battery Monitor
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
Re: Wiring & Installing A Battery Monitor

I'm getting ready to buy a Xantrex Linkpro and came across this thread while doing my research. I'm going to buy a 25' cat6 cable to use for $4.44 instead of their connection kit that costs $120+. What a joke!

Thanks for the great info--hope I was able to give something back!

Oh yeah here's a link to buy the cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Jos,

I personally like the Xantrex Monitors slightly better than the Victron if price is not the objective. I use a Link-Pro on my own boat and have a pile of monitors to use anytime I want including a Victron BMV-602. The Links are harder to install but the total added time is about 20 minutes and once your done that's it.

If you got it cheap then buy the communication kit. The proper wire for these is very difficult to source in small quantities. I have looked high and low. If someone has a source PLEASE let me know I'll buy a 1000 foot reel and re-sell it and still save people TONS of money.. It needs to be multiple twisted pair. The "twisted" part is important as it cuts any induced noise which can throw the monitor off.

Like most things Xantrex doe not build these monitors they "source" them. The price of the TBS built Link-Lite and Link-Pro is OFFENSIVE when you include the communication kits. If you knew my cost on a Victron you'd have a better idea of just how offensive....

Both are good products but I do think the LINKS are more robustly built. I have never once had a single failure or issue with a TBS Electronics built LINK monitor and I can't say that for the older Cruising Equipment Link-10, 20, 2000 & 2000R. TBS began making monitors for Xantrex with the XBM and make the current LITE & PRO...

Last edited by n0w0rries; 03-12-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook