SailNet Community - View Single Post - FM stereo interfence, Sensibulb LEDs and 12V Jacks
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
FM stereo interfence, Sensibulb LEDs and 12V Jacks

Hi folks,
I'm trying to troubleshoot some interference I get on the FM stereo, and see what I can do to fix it. First, some specs:

- Stereo, lighting, and 12V outlet/jacks are each on a separate breaker
- All 3 that are problem-causing are within a couple feet of each other

Second, the problem:

- When I plug a 12V phone USB charging adapter into 12V jack, then plug in my phone, I get interference in the FM as soon as the phone starts charging. This does not happen in my car. The charger does not cause interference unless the phone is plugged into it.

- I have four dome lights with Sensibulbs. The two that are in the forward cabin, far away from the stereo cause no interference. The two closer to the stereo do cause interference. It's very mild with one on, but much more noticeable with two on.

I bought Sensibulbs because of their reported low RF noise. I also have a MarineBeam LED light also very close to the stereo that seems to cause no noise on the stereo.

Soooo....my question is, are these two problems related? Is there something I should be doing to minimize the interference on the stereo side? Or do I just need different LED bulbs and a different 12V phone charger? Any way to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
J