SailNet Community - View Single Post - What sailing knife do you use?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The Wichard knive does not flick open, nor do I want to.

I use the Marlin spike regularly to break knots that have seized. The shackle key is invaluable.

I wear the pock-it pouch on my pfd, which I always wear. The knive is on a lanyard attached to the pfd. I have a wrist strap on the mag lite.

I am often tethered; a knife is mandatory.

Ahhhh I get it. I always wondered why they would have a marlinspike on an "ermergency knife". I guess I was thinking it was for splicing, and I couldn't imagine needing to splice something STAT. That's what knots are for.

Here is what I want in a knife, in order:

1: Must be able to be easily carried and EASILY opened with a cold wet half-frozen hand.

2: Must be able to cut through rope quicly and easily.

3: Should thrive on abuse. Especially repeated salt water immersions without rinsing. (I don't baby my tools)

4: Shouldn't be easy to cut oneself with wet slippery hands when using the knife.

5: Shouldn't cost too much.

6: A shackle key would be a plus.

I'm thinking that if they meet #2 Jackdale's Wichard or the Spiderco Rescue might fit the bill nicely. Though the Spiderco does better in the "what word would I say when I drop it overboard" contest than the Wichard.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook