SailNet Community - View Single Post - What sailing knife do you use?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

I will critique my original recommendation in your quote........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post

1: Must be able to be easily carried and EASILY opened with a cold wet half-frozen hand.

Very easy. I like carrying an emergency knife clipped to my front pocket, with the knife in the pocket and the clip on the outside. Several others above will require dexterity to push the blade around with your thumb. The leatherman has a tab for your forefinger and a quick flip. Done. It's so fast and easy, people think it has a spring.

2: Must be able to cut through rope quicly and easily.

Like butter. Verified personally.

3: Should thrive on abuse. Especially repeated salt water immersions without rinsing. (I don't baby my tools)

It can take a physical beating. However, I would think any knife that could be repeatedly immersed in salt water without rinsing, would not hold an edge well.

4: Shouldn't be easy to cut oneself with wet slippery hands when using the knife.

Roger that. Blade locks open. Also, very easy to close with one hand, by pushing a lock out of the way and curling your index finger around the back of the blade. Do it all the time.

5: Shouldn't cost too much.

Just saw it on Amazon for $38.

6: A shackle key would be a plus.

Sorry.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook