SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising w/ Kids: Don't leave 'em behind!
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising w/ Kids: Don't leave 'em behind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus_452000 View Post
Well this will be my first post so here goes...
Being a little different (maybe) its just me and the four kids, and I wanted to have a proper sailing holiday for years, trully love the sea, and crewed in my younger days.
Anyhow long story short, I/we (the kids and I) found ourselves in this position of just myself and themselves and after a lot of struggles could finally afford a holiday so we went on a charter boat for 2 weeks. We loved it but to make sure it wasn't just fond memories we went again, and again, I loved it and more importantly the kids loved it even more, so now we are buying are first boat and going to try and make use of it whenever the kids have time off from school/college.
If I am 100% honest, I was terrified of taking them on the charter boat, but wow, it gave them a self of importance by each of them having there own jobs, a belief in that they can do things for themselves and more importantly, made us even closer as a family.
So as a five some were going to spend the summmer crusing around the Med as best we can, because I know one day, it will be just myself, as they will all have there own familys and they will be doing there own things, so whilst I can my little lot will go whenever I have the time.
Our family holidays as a kid were always on the Broads. That's when I started sailing, in a little gunter rigged dinghy. Anyway maybe you've planted the seeds and when they grow up they'll think about starting to sail again.