SailNet Community - View Single Post - What sailing knife do you use?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

Assuming the knife is for safety (cutting yourself free of a tether or rigging, fo exanple), there are 3 tests it should pass that many of the sugestions do not:

1. No point. The tip should be relatively blunt so that stabbing yourself is difficult.
2. Can you retrieve it from the holster of pocket with one hand, in the dark, in a panic in the surf. Seriously, most of the belt holsters would result in the knife being on the bottom of the ocean. A lanyard may be best. I favor a deep pocket as a compromise.
3. Can it be retrieved when the PFD is inflated. No kidding, with some inflatables you might be surprised.

On side note, Practical Sailor just reported that some inflatable PFDs/harness combos block access to the release on the harness snapshackle when inflated. Sounds like a shamfull lack of realworld testing. I hope you are doing real MOBs with real people in the water with the equipment you really use (we do). Otherwise, it's no plan at all and the safety talk is lip service.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook