SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice needed, discipline...
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Re: advice needed, discipline...

All good thoughts. A presail briefing laying out your expectations for everyone would be the best. And while working with women you don't know well may be uncomfortable, you still need to be assertive, and firm with your orders so they don't get the mistaken impression it is a democracy in the first place. (or they may be so self centered and spoiled and used to getting their way that they are useless as crew). Something to find out early.

I've never had someone refuse to yield the helm to the owner of the boat before.

When I was a new inexperience boat owner, I hired a licensed captain to assist in moving the boat to a shipyard to be checked out. I drove most of the way, but the final few hundred yards were in a narrow canal. After entering the canal a crosswind blew up, I thought I had it in hand, but he placed a hand on my shoulder and suggested it could be tricky and he should take the wheel... unless I wanted to give it a try. I thought for about 3/4's of a second and gave him the helm. I cared more about my new boat than my ego.